“You muppet, you can put a saddle on, Matthew. You’ve done it before!” My self-motivational talk wasn’t really
helping. It’s funny what pressure can do
and how it almost always comes from within.
I had put saddles and other tack on before but, for a few seconds, as I
looked at the various pieces of equipment on the ground my mind went
blank. Luckily, I had Sandra just
outside the round pen who knew exactly what to say and exactly when to say it. My mind was still buzzing from my second join-up
of the week, this time with a lovely pony called Derek, so Sandra gave me a
moment to let that soak in before bringing the tack in so that I could start
the process of getting ready to long line.
(Long lining is a method of working a horse from the ground, like the
more commonly used lunging but with two lines. For more info on long lining I’ll
put some links at the end of this post).
I’m used to having a horse tied up whilst putting tack on but I didn’t
have that luxury in the round pen, so I fumbled around trying to get the saddle
and bridle on whilst getting tangled up in the line I had attached to the head collar. I’m sure this amused Derek. With the tack in place, including a stirrup leather
to hold the stirrups in place so they don’t bang on the horse’s side, it was time
to clip the lines on and get working. Derek
knew what he was doing and responded to my requests to speed up, slow down and
turn with no problem at all and he stood wonderfully still while I took all the
tack off and made a big fuss of him.
That afternoon I would be doing more long lining, only this
time out on the roads. I genuinely
struggle to think of a better way to spend an afternoon. We got in the car with Ian, who owns and runs the farm and
drove for about 5 minutes up the road to some lovely, quiet country lanes. The ponies, Precious and Gromit, were fitted with their training surcingles and lines
and off we strolled. My partner and I were working (if you can call it that) with Gromit. As we spent the next hour or so wandering
through the chocolate box countryside, listening to Ian’s stories, all felt very
right in my little world. I would
actually prescribe this activity as a stress reliever. I went to sleep that night with a smile on my face.
No comments:
Post a Comment